Ladies and Gentlemen Start Your Kettles for the 11th Annual Garrison Home Brew-Off
This year’s Style will be Dunkles Bock (6C according to the BJCP Style Guide) for details about the style click here.
This year’s entree fee is $15 and includes a souvenir glass, one free entry to the gala and a complimentary Growlito and fill with the Garrison beer of your choice. To download the complete competition details click here.
Beer Entries are due by end of day Monday February 4th, 2019. To download the registration form click here.
The 2019 Home Brew Off Awards Gala will be February 28th at 7pm at Garrison’s Seaport Hall.
Good Luck & Drink Independently!
Community Events Page
Holy Craft Beer we like to stay busy! Check out the events below that we’ll be having fun at and make sure you drop by and say hello… or we may just come & find you!
Crave – November 3rd 2018 – The Canadian Progress Club – Halifax invites you to indulge in an all-inclusive evening of eating, drinking and partying – sip on crafted beers, fine wines and specialty drinks while enjoying a wide selection of exceptional cuisine. When you’ve had your fill, trade in your cups and plates for dancing shoes with entertainment from True North DJs. 100% of the profits generated from CRAVE go directly to local organizations that provide support to individuals of all ages with special needs. Our charities include The Club Inclusion, Kings Meadow Home, Special Olympics Nova Scotia, IWK Health Centre, and more.
Cape Breton Beer Fest – The 3rd Annual Cape Breton Beer Fest will take place Saturday December 1st, 2018 at the Joan Harris Cruise Pavilion (The Big Fiddle). There will be ONE Showing. from 7:00pm-9:30pm. VIP Ticket Holders may enter at 6:00pm to get an early start on sampling. Taps will be shut off at 9:30pm, you have until 10:00pm to finish you conversations and samples.
- Cape Breton Beer Fest – Sydney, NS – Dec. 1st 2018
The Environment Makin’ Green Beer!
Can craft beer be green? Absolutely (just not for St. Paddy’s Day!) At Garrison we strive to make great beer with as little impact & as much sustainability as possible. It’s a commitment we stand behind & here are a few ways we live it:
- Wastewater – we capture & direct all operations wastewater to a single point, sample & test in-house, separate & dispose of all high-strength discharge (yeast, trub, waste beer, etc.) & screen off the solids before sending on for treatment. Over to you Halifax Water!
- Spent Grain – after we’ve removed the starches (sugars) & flavours from the grain, Bovidae Farms in Falmouth comes & takes it away to feed their dairy cows (no tipping please). Thanks Bob!
- Solids Separation – We work with suppliers to reduce their waste materials at source. After that though, nearly everything gets broken into separate streams: paper, plastic, cardboard, pallets, scrap wood & steel
- Energy Efficiency – Building our new brewery & refurbishing the older market brewery has allowed us to invest in improvements throughout: natural gas steam boiler, VFD pumps, energy-efficient lighting, water & heat recovery
- East Coast Beer Gear – Most of our brewing & cellar equipment is designed & built in Prince Edward Island. Thanks neighbour!
- 3R’s of Packaging – All beer packaging is either returnable (bottles & cans), reusable (growlers & kegs) or recyclable (cardboard trays/boxes, boxboard packs & metal crowns)
- Corn Starch Cups – We’ve been using these nifty compostable/biodegradable cups for nearly a decade & we wouldn’t serve you any other way. Guaranteed to break down in whichever stream they end up, it’s just the right thing to do. Cheers to Green Shift Inc.!
- Old Buildings/Good Bones – The Halifax Seaport has given us not one but two amazing opportunities to repurpose, refurbish & otherwise return to service an old, derelict building. Brick, steel & rough-cut wood, they just don’t make ‘em like that anymore!
- Environmental Partnership – Garrison is thrilled to be a Sustainability Ally of Ecology Action Centre! By partnering together on the Backlot Bash we’re making our event more green, fundraising for EAC causes & highlighting the environment while having a serious good time. Cheers partner!
& add to that, Garrisons’ Market Brewery, retail store & participation in events, festivals & trade shows are now… Bullfrogpowered! That means that Bullfrog Power, Canada’s leading green energy provider, puts 100% clean, green electricity from wind and low-impact hydro sources onto the grid to match the amount of electricity this facility uses. This clean & renewable energy displaces regular energy from nonrenewable or polluting sources. We’re proud to do our part as a leading craft brewer & we’re in pretty good company. Here’s a few other Bullfrogged brewers: Beau’s, Steam Whistle, Granville Island, The Grizzly Paw, Alley Kat, Trolley No.5, Picaroons, Upstreet, North, Sleeping Giant & Schoolhouse!
Craft Beer Kitchen
Beer and food naturally just go together, so why not have food with beer in it! This page is devoted to recipes submitted by our friends, families and neighbours who have used our craft beer to make amazing, meals, appies and desserts! If you would like to submit a recipe email Justin at email@example.com
Jackie Fraser-Dunfield’s Fantastic Nut Brown Braised Beef Short Ribs
4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs, cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 tablespoon cornstarch or allpurpose flour, prepared with water in a cup
1 bottle Nut Brown Ale, Garrison Brewing Co.
2 cups beef broth
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon Garam Masala
1 bunch fresh thyme & rosemary
6-8 large mushrooms, chopped in quarters
2 tablespoons tomato paste
6 whole tomatoes (canned) or cherry tomatoes
2 bay leaves
Fresh parsley, chopped parsley to taste
Browning sauce is optional to darken
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Pat the short ribs dry with a paper towel and season generously with salt and pepper. Heat the oil over medium high heat. If using a Dutch oven, you can do it all in one pot. If using a cast iron roasting dish, then brown ribs in a frying pan and transfer. Brown the short ribs on all sides, about 2-3 minutes per side, working in batches if necessary. Remove browned short ribs to a plate and discard most of the fat, leaving about 2 tablespoons in the pan.
3. Lower the heat to medium and add the onions, garlic, carrots, celery, leeks or green onions & mushrooms. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened and fragrant. Place short ribs in roasting pan and add aromatics (vegetables) to the ribs.
4. Add the beer and beef broth, cornstarch, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, tomato paste and garam masala in a mixing bowl. Pour over short ribs and aromatics (vegetables). Cover with tin foil and place in preheated oven. Drop oven temperature to 325 F.
5. Cook until the short ribs are very tender, about 2.5 hours.
Contest or Promo's
LONG WEEKEND CONTEST ALERT!
To Celebrate the release of Wicked Good in cans we’re launching a contest that you won’t want to miss 😉
The Prizes are:
- 24 CANS OF WICKED GOOD
- GARRISON BREWERY TOUR FOR 10
- 2 TICKETS TO GARRISONS 2018 BACKLOT BASH
- BLUENOSE PRIZE PACKAGE (Includes registration for next year’s race)
To enter, hit up one of our awesome licensee partners who are launching the beer with us in cans or on draft, or grab a can (or 7) at the brewery, NSLCs, or private liquor stores.
Make sure you take a picture showing us how you’re spending your #WickedGood weekend and post to Instagram or Twitter using the hashtag!
Don’t forget to tag us so we can find it – @garrisonbrewing !
Entries will be accepted until 11:59PM Monday May 21st. Good luck!
- Available Here:
- Durty Nelly’s
- Stubborn Goat
- Stubborn Goat Beer Garden
- Lion & Bright
- Wooden Monkey ( Dartmouth)
- Celtic Corner
- Split Crow
- Brown Hound