Tickets on sale Friday AT 11AM CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS
The 5 annual Backlot Bash takes place Saturday June 15th featuring Juno Award Winning Broken Social Scene, with Dave Sampson, along with Natalie Lynn and you get to have your say on the first act with Battle for the Bash Band Contest see below for more details.
We will be rocking the roof off the Cunard Centre all in support of the Ecology Action Centre
With great live music, comes great Food Trucks including: The Gecko Bus, Cheese Curds, Asado, with more to come, they will all be there creating spectacular local fare and of course be fresh Garrison craft beer and local cider. Garrison favourites will pour beside several special release and seasonal brews to wash it all down
Tickets ON SALE FRIDAY 11AM CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS
Rain or Shine
ID Checks at the door
BATTLE FOR THE BASH
YOUR NAME HERE
Want to be the first band on at the Garrison Backlot Bash featuring Broken Social Scene?!?!?
We’re searching for YOU!
Step 1 – Upload a video or audio clip of your group giving it their all to Facebook, Instagram, and/or Twitter
Be sure to tag us @GarrisonBrewing
And use the hashtag #BattleForTheBash to be entered!
Step 2 – Share your post with your friends on social media!
Step 3 – The top 4 band posts with the most likes will be brought to the final panel on the evening of May 9th.
Step 4 – The chosen winner will be rocking out on June 15th and will take home a cash prize of $200!
Will it be you?
Band cannot be signed to a label
Shared likes will not be counted – only likes on initial post.
Contest closes May 2nd at 11:59PM
Must be available the evening of May 9th
- Previous winners of the contest are not eligible to enter again.
Cross-platform likes will be counted together (i.e. if a band posts on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook the likes will all be tallied together)
Winner is subject to approval
Community Events Page
Holy Craft Beer we like to stay busy! Check out the events below that we’ll be having fun at and make sure you drop by and say hello… or we may just come & find you!
Crave – November 3rd 2018 – The Canadian Progress Club – Halifax invites you to indulge in an all-inclusive evening of eating, drinking and partying – sip on crafted beers, fine wines and specialty drinks while enjoying a wide selection of exceptional cuisine. When you’ve had your fill, trade in your cups and plates for dancing shoes with entertainment from True North DJs. 100% of the profits generated from CRAVE go directly to local organizations that provide support to individuals of all ages with special needs. Our charities include The Club Inclusion, Kings Meadow Home, Special Olympics Nova Scotia, IWK Health Centre, and more.
Cape Breton Beer Fest – The 3rd Annual Cape Breton Beer Fest will take place Saturday December 1st, 2018 at the Joan Harris Cruise Pavilion (The Big Fiddle). There will be ONE Showing. from 7:00pm-9:30pm. VIP Ticket Holders may enter at 6:00pm to get an early start on sampling. Taps will be shut off at 9:30pm, you have until 10:00pm to finish you conversations and samples.
- Cape Breton Beer Fest – Sydney, NS – Dec. 1st 2018
The Environment Makin’ Green Beer!
Can craft beer be green? Absolutely (just not for St. Paddy’s Day!) At Garrison we strive to make great beer with as little impact & as much sustainability as possible. It’s a commitment we stand behind & here are a few ways we live it:
- Wastewater – we capture & direct all operations wastewater to a single point, sample & test in-house, separate & dispose of all high-strength discharge (yeast, trub, waste beer, etc.) & screen off the solids before sending on for treatment. Over to you Halifax Water!
- Spent Grain – after we’ve removed the starches (sugars) & flavours from the grain, Bovidae Farms in Falmouth comes & takes it away to feed their dairy cows (no tipping please). Thanks Bob!
- Solids Separation – We work with suppliers to reduce their waste materials at source. After that though, nearly everything gets broken into separate streams: paper, plastic, cardboard, pallets, scrap wood & steel
- Energy Efficiency – Building our new brewery & refurbishing the older market brewery has allowed us to invest in improvements throughout: natural gas steam boiler, VFD pumps, energy-efficient lighting, water & heat recovery
- East Coast Beer Gear – Most of our brewing & cellar equipment is designed & built in Prince Edward Island. Thanks neighbour!
- 3R’s of Packaging – All beer packaging is either returnable (bottles & cans), reusable (growlers & kegs) or recyclable (cardboard trays/boxes, boxboard packs & metal crowns)
- Corn Starch Cups – We’ve been using these nifty compostable/biodegradable cups for nearly a decade & we wouldn’t serve you any other way. Guaranteed to break down in whichever stream they end up, it’s just the right thing to do. Cheers to Green Shift Inc.!
- Old Buildings/Good Bones – The Halifax Seaport has given us not one but two amazing opportunities to repurpose, refurbish & otherwise return to service an old, derelict building. Brick, steel & rough-cut wood, they just don’t make ‘em like that anymore!
- Environmental Partnership – Garrison is thrilled to be a Sustainability Ally of Ecology Action Centre! By partnering together on the Backlot Bash we’re making our event more green, fundraising for EAC causes & highlighting the environment while having a serious good time. Cheers partner!
& add to that, Garrisons’ Market Brewery, retail store & participation in events, festivals & trade shows are now… Bullfrogpowered! That means that Bullfrog Power, Canada’s leading green energy provider, puts 100% clean, green electricity from wind and low-impact hydro sources onto the grid to match the amount of electricity this facility uses. This clean & renewable energy displaces regular energy from nonrenewable or polluting sources. We’re proud to do our part as a leading craft brewer & we’re in pretty good company. Here’s a few other Bullfrogged brewers: Beau’s, Steam Whistle, Granville Island, The Grizzly Paw, Alley Kat, Trolley No.5, Picaroons, Upstreet, North, Sleeping Giant & Schoolhouse!
Craft Beer Kitchen
Beer and food naturally just go together, so why not have food with beer in it! This page is devoted to recipes submitted by our friends, families and neighbours who have used our craft beer to make amazing, meals, appies and desserts! If you would like to submit a recipe email Justin at email@example.com
Jackie Fraser-Dunfield’s Fantastic Nut Brown Braised Beef Short Ribs
4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs, cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 tablespoon cornstarch or allpurpose flour, prepared with water in a cup
1 bottle Nut Brown Ale, Garrison Brewing Co.
2 cups beef broth
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon Garam Masala
1 bunch fresh thyme & rosemary
6-8 large mushrooms, chopped in quarters
2 tablespoons tomato paste
6 whole tomatoes (canned) or cherry tomatoes
2 bay leaves
Fresh parsley, chopped parsley to taste
Browning sauce is optional to darken
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Pat the short ribs dry with a paper towel and season generously with salt and pepper. Heat the oil over medium high heat. If using a Dutch oven, you can do it all in one pot. If using a cast iron roasting dish, then brown ribs in a frying pan and transfer. Brown the short ribs on all sides, about 2-3 minutes per side, working in batches if necessary. Remove browned short ribs to a plate and discard most of the fat, leaving about 2 tablespoons in the pan.
3. Lower the heat to medium and add the onions, garlic, carrots, celery, leeks or green onions & mushrooms. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened and fragrant. Place short ribs in roasting pan and add aromatics (vegetables) to the ribs.
4. Add the beer and beef broth, cornstarch, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, tomato paste and garam masala in a mixing bowl. Pour over short ribs and aromatics (vegetables). Cover with tin foil and place in preheated oven. Drop oven temperature to 325 F.
5. Cook until the short ribs are very tender, about 2.5 hours.
Contest or Promo's
LONG WEEKEND CONTEST ALERT!
To Celebrate the release of Wicked Good in cans we’re launching a contest that you won’t want to miss 😉
The Prizes are:
- 24 CANS OF WICKED GOOD
- GARRISON BREWERY TOUR FOR 10
- 2 TICKETS TO GARRISONS 2018 BACKLOT BASH
- BLUENOSE PRIZE PACKAGE (Includes registration for next year’s race)
To enter, hit up one of our awesome licensee partners who are launching the beer with us in cans or on draft, or grab a can (or 7) at the brewery, NSLCs, or private liquor stores.
Make sure you take a picture showing us how you’re spending your #WickedGood weekend and post to Instagram or Twitter using the hashtag!
Don’t forget to tag us so we can find it – @garrisonbrewing !
Entries will be accepted until 11:59PM Monday May 21st. Good luck!
- Available Here:
- Durty Nelly’s
- Stubborn Goat
- Stubborn Goat Beer Garden
- Lion & Bright
- Wooden Monkey ( Dartmouth)
- Celtic Corner
- Split Crow
- Brown Hound
Important News Items
Check Out our amazing news on the New Oxford Taproom!
For Immediate Release
Tuesday, February 12, 2019
Long live The Oxford on Quinpool (Part 1)
Garrison Brewing set to open new Taproom in Halifax this Spring!
(Halifax, NS) — Garrison Brewing, one of Halifax’s original craft breweries, is answering the call of west-enders looking for a place to gather and socialize. Centered in the old Elegant Touch Beauty Salon, and attached to the iconic Oxford Theatre, Garrison’s new venture will include a pilot-brewery, street-front taproom and retail store, backyard terrace and second floor community space.
As homage to the 82-year old building, Garrison’s new venture will be aptly called The Oxford. With its vintage, speakeasy vibe and classic cinematic elements, the taproom space will evoke the Oxford Theatres important past. Exposed brick, 14’ wood ceilings and vintage subway tile will add character to a small test brewery and wide range of locally crafted Garrison beer and cider.
“We’re excited and honoured to breathe new life into such a landmark space while celebrating its amazing history. The taproom will be a comfortable and welcoming throwback to old Hollywood, and you may even recognize some classic items from the original Oxford theatre,” says Brian Titus, President of Garrison Brewing.
Scheduled to open in late Spring 2019, the space will provide locals in the area with a family (and pet) friendly place to fill a growler, sample fresh craft beers, or host a community event. The Oxford will have a limited offering of snacks; however, patrons will be welcome to order-in food from the many great neighbouring restaurants. “Change and development are coming to the area, but Quinpool will always be known as a great food destination” says Titus. “Many of the surrounding restaurants have been long-time customers of ours and we look forward to promoting them through pop-ups and catering”.
“I am sure I speak for everyone on Quinpool Road when I say that we are absolutely thrilled that the building will not be demolished,” says Karla Nicholson, Executive Director of Quinpool’s Mainstreet District Association. “The Oxford development is definitely exciting, and we look forward to seeing many of our businesses benefit from it. It’s also exciting that community groups and non-profits, like our Association, will have a place to meet and collaborate on Quinpool.”
The building and property were purchased over a year ago by Quinpool veterans and promoters, the Nahas family (King of Donair). Their vision has always been to see the building renovated and remain a long-term asset for the community. In addition to The Oxford taproom, plans are nearly complete on a development within the original theatre space. Details on this equally exciting venture will be announced shortly, but it is also anticipated to be a family- friendly business for community gathering.
For updates on design, renovations and finishing touches, follow us socially here: @oxfordtaproom.
About Garrison Brewing Company
Since 1997, Garrison has strived to create exceptional craft beer – real beer made with passion, hard work and East Coast pride. Garrison offers an exceptional range of premium and distinctive beers, all crafted in the historic Halifax Seaport and (soon) at the Oxford Theatre building on Quinpool.
For more information, contact:
Justin Zinck, Garrison Brewing
(902) 802-8582 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Wendy Phillips, Phillips Public Relations Ltd. (902) 492-0960 / email@example.com